Thursday, October 21, 2010

Chapter 6- Stephanie Baldwin

Creative Connector
“I had to find ways to engage them.  I had to find things for them to do—things that were relevant, things that would interest them, things that could not be accomplished without the one element that sometimes seems foreign to school classrooms: real, live, unadulterated learning.” –p. 92

I can relate to this quote from the book because while student teaching I was always in search of activities that would be relevant to my students.  While it’s necessary to have straight up notes and lectures sometimes, it’s better to find a way to relate it to the students.  I did a unit on German music with my students they got really excited when they got to talk about the music in their lives.

A part that concerned me in this chapter is how the author lost track of Frankie, a student who could have been at risk.  The author got lazy and let this kid slip through the cracks.  This reminds me of when I had to report a student to the social worker at school.  This student one day wrote all over his papers references to Nazis and Jews that were not acceptable.  I found it necessary to get to the bottom of it, in case there was underlying issues.  It turns out his friends just did it as a joke to be mean.  I’m glad I found out the truth, even if it turned out not to be a problem.

Idea Illustrator
In this chapter the author discusses talk shows and how his students analyzed them to find what’s wrong with the media.  So for my idea illustrator I found clips to illustrate these negative aspects.  Feel free to analyze them yourselves!

Jerry Springer:

Ricki Lake:

Maury:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPLvd54wfaI


Essence Extractor
Students need new concepts to really develop their learning.

5 comments:

  1. Stephanie- I loved your Idea Illustrator posts! I enjoyed the video clips, it really captures the topics Mr. Michie strives to make deeper connections with for him and his students. This chapter on Media Literacy and the creative connections you made in your blog remind me of the textbook I used throughout my Media Literacy class in high school that really helped stir up some of our whole group discussios that got pretty interesting! The textbook was called "Popular culture in the classroom: Teaching and researching critical media literacy" by Alverman, Moon, and Hagwood. Even thought the current popular culture when I was a senior in high school stirred up pretty controversial conversation on the media, this textbook gave us a whole new perspective on how to view our popular media, and I swear I haven't been able to look at TV the same way again! The media class truly hits home for students when media surrounds them on a daily basis and can easily be brought into the classroom for deep and meaningful conversation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, I ALWAYS forget to leave my name on my responses, the one above is from Rachel:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea steph!!!! the geri springer show clip made me sick on so many levels. just that first screen "this clip contains gore and things that may be frightening to children, women and feminine men." Seriously i know that was probably the person who put it on youtube but still. so much of the stuff on there is like this, degrading, insulting and gross. I don't want to be the Debbie Downer of the crowd and always scream out for equality and stupid/insulting things but its seems thats what is needed. How do we maintain ourselves as members of today's society and yet keep our values intact? I think Michie had a great way of doing this - deconstruct what we see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for proving Mr. Michie's point about the Jerry Springer Show and other show's like it. Your video clip truly captures how insensitive and degrading those shows really are. I wish that other people would take the time to think about what they're really watching and how awful it is! The fact that this clip exists and so many people have watched it is a complete attestation to the giant zombie that our society has become.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete